Coward's Cakes was the first established bakery in Mildura, serving Sunraysia since 1919.
The bread baking business of George Norman Coward was established in 1919 at 2 Lime Avenue in Mildura (on land now occupied by K Mart), it was called 'G.N. Coward Bakery'.
World War 2 brought about changes to the business, manpower shortages saw innovative bakers in Mildura forming a company to take over bread deliveries to eliminate duplication of delivery carts. This helped Cowards and other bakeries to stay in business throughout the war.
Eventually G.N. Coward Bakery was sold to new
owners who retained the name 'Cowards Cakes' and expanded the premises in Lime Avenue.
In 1977 the bakery was sold to three partners and three years later was relocated to Tenth Street when one of the partners took it on. In 1990 the factory on the corner of Etiwanda Avenue and Eighth Street was built.
Locals Matthew and Annita Grace formed a partnership with Matthews sister Katherine and her husband Jacob Tschirpig to take over the bakery in 2007. They have since expanded the factory and café on Etiwanda Avenue and developed a second café on the corner of Eleventh Street and Riverside Avenue in Mildura near the Old Aerodrome Ovals.
The Grace's have a long family history in the area and are proud to carry on the tradition of supplying quality, fresh baked goods to locals.
Left: The old Cowards Cakes premises at 2 Lime Avenue, Mildura. Right: In 1943 Cowards Cakes started to use vans for delivery.